Friday, February 11, 2011

Recent view, Hawkinsville Georgia

Recent view, Hawkinsville, Pulaski, Georgia

The Lovejoy Company Dry Goods building???

Northeast corner of Commerce and Jackson Streets. I have determined that this building to the far left, is the same building as The Lovejoy Company Dry Goods building was in 1908 on Main Street facing south. See my previous post Lovejoy Company.


The actual street address is undetermined at this time. I used Google Streetview to find this current street location and used the adjacent buildings to determine this is the same one. I did use the Steve Morse One Step to attempt to determine if what was Main Street is now Commerce Street. Evidently Hawkinsville is not a large enough city (>25,000) to have been indexed. Next steps:

1. Contact the local public library and historical societies to request they verify my findings and see if they have any more information. They would also be verifying that what was Main Street is now Commerce Street.

2. Ask the library and historical society what business currently occupies this building and what is the address.

3. Attempt to find if there are any other LOVEJOY or STEWART families in the area. That would most likely be white LOVEJOYs and black STEWARTs.

After I have found answers to those questions, determine some more next steps based on if my determination is correct. If incorrect, ask the library and historical society if they can assist me to the correct location of The Lovejoy Company Dry Goods building and if it still stands.

Giving credit where credit is due, thank you to the author of the Jigsaw Genealogy blog for providing the inspiration to take these next steps. See the Services page regarding Pictures.


288 words. I better get moving, I have 5712 words to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment